30 November 2007

Hit Me Once, Shame on You, Hit Me Twice, Shame on Me.

It is the last day of November and I am counting down the days until Christmas. The mall is getting crazy and the days are getting colder. I'm still dealing with class and finishing up my last assignments before finals week and I'm looking forward to Christmas break, when I can finally rest and not worry about studying. I now have 5 months until I graduate. How excited am I?

Work hasn't been bad lately. I ended up working Thanksgiving day and was still able to leave and eat dinner with my family. Even though we ate at 9pm it was still delicious and much better than the free hospital turkey meal I got at work.

Today was a big change from the last few times I've had to work. I was dropped off by my roomies this morning as they went to work, so I avoided the cold. I ended up with three patients most of the day who had very little going on while I was there. I did my baths and changed my beds. I also got all my vitals twice and checked my blood sugars. We also got free cookies from the food service person for picking up our trays from our patients' rooms. It was a good day. One of the nurses, Beth, even got a chocolate pie from home and let us eat it. yummy. When it came time to come home I was going to find a ride to keep me from walking home in the cold. Instead the nurses told me that it was a nice day and that I should walk home. Well I decided to trust them and walk home, believing that it would be the only nice day for the next 4 months.

I get half way home and I'm crossing a side street off Nicholasville road in front of AG North, just before you get to cooper drive and there is a SUV sitting there wanting to turn right. Well cars were coming towards me so I didn't think that he would turn in front of them and he saw me. I decided to cross in front of him. Well, he decided that he wanted to go instead. We met in the middle with me on his front bumper, yelling "STOP" at the top of my lungs. He only went a foot with me on the front, stopped and then backed up. I jumped back away from his car and just stand there like "what the hell did you really just hit me with your car??" He tried to wave me in front of him. I'm definitely not stupid enough to cross in front of someone who just hit me once. Hit me once shame on you, hit me twice shame on me. So he finally rolled down his window and asked if I was okay. Um... you just hit me with your car, I'm a little shaken up. Then I decided that it was time to get away from this crazy person and crossed in front of him, paying close attention to all vehicles in the area.

I'm never going to cross in front of anymore cars. I saw my life flash in front of my eyes and everything was in slow motion. But the good thing is I am okay, I may have a few bruises on my legs from the bumper, but other than that I guess I will have a good story to tell: How I was hit by a car...

No comments: