14 November 2007

Changes Come and Changes Go

With the passage of time, there will be changes that occur. They may be expected, such as graduating from college, or they may come as a big surprise. Either way, changes help us to grow and teach us valuable lessons that we will use for the rest of our lives, hopefully. As Meridith put it in an episode of Grey's Anatomy:

"Change; we don’t like it, we fear it, but we can't stop it from coming. We either adapt to change or we get left behind. And it hurts to grow, anybody who tells you it doesn’t is lying. But here's the truth: the more things change, the more they stay the same. And sometimes, oh, sometimes change is good. Oh, sometimes, change is ... everything".

She was exactly right, or the writers of Grey's were. We don't like change at all. Just like when I was little, Wal-mart never put out Christmas things before Thanksgiving, but not they put it out well before Halloween. It throws off my karma to have Christmas decorations out with the Halloween costumes. Ghouls and goblins don't really deal well with angels and holly. But I learned to except the change, and now I am currently listening to "Frosty the Snowman" on my computer.

We can't hide from change, no matter how hard we try. We have to face it head on and learn to bite the bullet and except the life changes. Graduation is coming up this spring, and I'm terrified of being out in the "real world" on my own and not having school to dictate what to study, what I need to be doing, etc. The Holidays are also coming upon us quickly and I am faced with the reality that my life is really going to change. My dad remarried back in August and they started building a new house. I'm excited about the new house, however, selling my old house, the only house I've ever known, was a difficult change. I know that changes will occur and I will be spending Thanksgiving in the rental house with my family and I know that it will be okay.

Changes normally occur for the best, and they strengthen us so that we can face the hard core world beyond our front door. I may have to face Christmas decor before Halloween, but I will keep my tradition of decorating for Christmas to the week surrounding Thanksgiving. That is one change that I won't accept.

No comments: