06 August 2007

Picnics and Bonfires

The longer I live the more I get to experience and I cherish those experiences and I can't wait for more. Life also gets more complicated when you have a job, school, bills to pay, friends to see, and apartments to pack up.

As of right now I am completely homeless, although I am living with my sister for the 4 days in between homes - for on Friday I move into the house with five other girls, all of whom are nursing students exactly like me. With 6 girls and two bathrooms, it may become hectic before class, but that's the way life is. I love challenges. It will be an experience.

This past weekend was what used to be my favorite time of year - the Fancy Farm Picnic. The largest one day bar-b-que in the world as well as the start of the political debates. I don't much care for politics other than listening to the crowd boo and cheer on their favorites. I would rather spend my time down by the bar-b-que pits where my family hangs out, since we are the ones who mainly cook the meat (mutton and pork). It is amazing. I love the pork sandwitches. But mostly I love spending time with my family and seeing all of those that I haven't seen since the previous picnic. It's also a time for me to meet new people.

My cousin from Atlanta - Paul - who is also a firefighter and an EMT brought two of his friends - Dan and Nate - to experience their first picnic. It was the farthest west Dan had ever been before and Nate got to have his first bonfire, even though it was 90 degrees. It was funny to watch those two guys have fun with new experiences. By the end of the weekend I was somehow known as Uncle Jenny, which was fine, but then they started throwing Forrest Gump quotes at me. Like I haven't heard those before. But picnic time rolls around the first Saturday in August and leaves me with a feeling that the summer is almost over and I can't help but feel sad that I won't be able to spend time with my family all at once for another 8 months. And when the time comes around for the picnic again I will find myself driving the four hours to far western Kentucky to spend time with my family.

No comments: