This weekend was very nice and relaxing. I didn't go anywhere. Just stayed in Florence and read my book. We did walk around and buy some presents for people so who knows what you'll get. I'm getting good and barganing with the street vendors. I wish I could do the same in the US. We also discovered a park farther down the Arno it is small but there are trees and a nice breeze.
This weekend was a big holiday weekend in Italy as well. Sunday was the feast day of san giovanni or St. John the Baptist. We sort of ran into a 5k or some sort of race Saturday night at 9:30 around Il Duomo and discovered that the magician that I found a few weeks ago comes around every weekend night. So we watched him for little bit then bought a bottle of Santa Maria white wine and sat around and talked in our apartment with some friends until quite late. Sunday there were supposed to be mideval calcio matches or soccer matches where the players dress up in puffy pants and stuff and play soccer in piazza san croce. But apparently they end up in a big fight after 15 minutes and the crowd joins in so the mayer cancelled them. But there was a bike race across tuscany and through florence sunday morning aroun 8am. Accompanied by a drummer. And then Sunday night was a huge display of fireworks shot off from piazza san micholangelo around 10pm and the whole city started running towards the arno to see them. streets were suddenly shut down all along the arno on both sides. It was hilarious to listen to the crowd oooh and awww. But the fireworks were really great since I will miss the 4th of July.
Today is another hot day and I am glad that the school at least has airconditioning. We are planning on going to the Odeon Theater for an English movie. It should be fun. I love the theater. It's two storeis and probably holds 1000 people or more. It's huge. and old. I think they once did opera there or something. But now it's just for movies. Gotta run to class. Ciao.
No comments:
Post a Comment