14 May 2008

When Patients Fly

What is it about me lately? Work has turned into excitement and running quickly from point A to point B. But I did make it until around 4pm without excitement this time. I finally got to sit down and relax for a few minutes during my 12 hour shift and I see a big white blur running past the nurses station... Hem. I wonder that was all about. Oh well. And 5 seconds later I see Tim the nurse running past... This was the point I felt that I needed to see what was going on. I look out the door and see Tom, one of the techs running after them. So I join the race. Get to the top of the ramp leading to the Helicopter pad and see Tim heading towards the stair well. I head in that direction and Tim yells, Oh my God he jumped...

That was when I heard the sickening thud of flesh hitting concrete... the sound that you have heard in movies before but is a million times worse in person.
I get to the stair well and see the patient laying on the stairs crying in pain. He jumped over the railing to the next landing... Who does that except in movies. So what do I do. I run back to the nurses station and start paging rapid response, while the nurses tend to the patient. We had the entire nursing staff helping out. We got ED nurses involved, the attending was called at home (which is a hospital paging faux pas), we had people involved that knew nothing about the patient.

All I know is that the patient was taken to the ED with a broken leg and possible head injury and taken directly to surgery. That is enough to keep me from jumping over stair rails. I know I don't like blue patients, and now I don't like flying patients...

No comments: