Today was a beautiful day, one of the first days where it didn't rain in Florence. Although it is hot almost 90 degrees and so humid your face begins to sweat the moment you step out the door. But wait, we don't have air conditioning. So we are always are hot. We do have air conditioning at a lot of stores, and at school that we can go to, but most haven't turned on the air yet. They don't think it is hot enough. My allergies are acting up since we spent the entire week around trees, grass, and flowers. There isn't any grass or trees in Florence's historical district where I live and spend most of my time. But there are flowers. They don't really bother me though. If you come here in the summer don't be surprised if you don't find a tree to sit next to, that's why the fake david is there as well as Neptune, Persus, and the other naked men in the Piazza della signoria. I'm going to pay them a visit tomorrow to study.
Today for class we got to go order gelato in italian. I did an excellent job and I tried riso e ciccolato. or Rice and chocolate ice cream. It tasted good surprisingly. You wouldn't think that rice flavored ice cream would be good. but it was. Vorrie un gelato da 2 euro por favore. is how you say I would like an ice cream for 2 euros. please. They have you say how much you want to spend and they show you how big the cup or cone will be. 2 euros gives you a little cup but trust me the gelato is thick and of good quality and you don't want one of the big 10 euro cones. You won't be able to finish it. I don't remember what the name of the good place we went to today was, but it's off ginori street down from the piazza della signoria. I'll find out and make a note of it.
If you come to Italy make sure you have good walking shoes and that you have plenty of euros. Everything is expensive. But the clothes are so much fun. I am feeling guilty but I want to go shopping. I may tonight. It is 7:30 here. I should eat dinner. It's about that time. Oh and restaurants here charge you for sitting out on the patios. So be careful. they also charge you for service so tips aren't really expected since it is included already.
Lemoncello is alright. I like the lemoncello creme' better. I find that the taste isn't as harsh. One of the better cocktails here is the fragolo or a drink made with strawberry and lemon juice with some sort of local alcohol. It had a strong flavor, but was good.
Sorrento has been one of my favorite cities so far. Not very touristy, but with plenty of things to do. It seemed so much more low key and reminded me of a coastal town in florida that people just go about their daily lives and take things as they go. But the winery was the my most favorite thing I've done so far these 10 days. Oh wait it's day 11. Time flies when you are having fun. I don't think I will be ready to leave Italy when the day comes. Midterms are next week, but luckily I don' t have one. That will help so much. Although I feel like I'm really learning Italian quickly, since I use so much every day trying to communicate with the people.
Well they are kicking us out of the computer lab... ciao bellas... love yall
No comments:
Post a Comment